top of page

This is a symbol

Updated: Feb 25, 2023

The first European settlement in the Weston area took place in the 1790s, when a sawmill was built in Etobicoke Township on an old native trading path along the west side of the Humber River, named after the we

ll-known Humber estuary in Yorkshire, England. In 1815 James Farr, a prominent local mill owner, named the growing settlement "Weston" after his birthplace, Weston, Hertfordshire. Weston initially developed along both sides of the river until a disastrous flood in 1850 destroyed the west bank settlement. The former west bank settlement is now the site of the Weston Golf and Country Club. Improvements to Main Street, now Weston Road, and the 1856 arrival of the Grand Trunk Railway brought growth on the east side.


1 view0 comments

Recent Posts

See All

Comments


bottom of page